Now, as we all know, networking is a hugely integral part of any business. It’s about making connections and keeping those connections growing. You can network with anyone from your dog groomer to a high level CEO (if you’re lucky enough to meet one!) Now, as we all know, networking is a hugely integral part of any business. It’s about making connections and keeping those connections growing. You can network with anyone from your dog groomer to a high level CEO (if you’re lucky enough to meet one!) Everyone knows the typical version of “Networking Tips,” dress for success, have a firm handshake, don’t monopolize the conversation, etc., but to most people these are pretty much common sense. Here are a couple of things you may NOT have thought about in regards to networking. Here are some tips to keep your mind open to networking in unexpected places.
- You can network anywhere, anytime, with anyone. You never know who you’re going to meet or who someone you meet might know. Be open to opportunities whenever and wherever they may arise.
- Looks can be deceiving. Just because someone isn’t dressed to the 9’s, doesn’t mean that you aren’t a useful connection to one another.
- Networking can be done anywhere. At a specialized “mixer” or at your kids soccer game. Always keep yourself open.
- It’s not always about what someone can do for you. Pay it forward and at some point it will come back to you. It’s better to be owed a favor than to owe one!
- Be approachable and friendly. Whenever you step out of your house you never know who you could meet, so be friendly and be someone people want to talk to.
- Don’t tune out because someone is in a different field than you. Many people have multiple needs in their businesses and may be able to recommend you to a client or friend.
- Don’t assume. Assumptions lead to missed opportunities, and no one likes that! These are just a few tips to keep in mind. Whenever you’re out, treat everyone you meet as if they’re a future business opportunity, you never know who you might meet!